The treatment protocol for dental implant involves various steps:
- The dental implant which is usually a cylindrical or tapered screw made up of titanium is inserted into the jaw bone surgically.
- During the healing period , implant will osseointegrate or fuse with the jaw bone, with two being growing toghther to form a strong and long lasting foundation for replacement teeth. This heling period usually varies from 8 to 16 weeks during which patients can proceed with everyday activities uneventfully.
- Once the implant is secured in the jaw bone which is confirmed by a small x- ray, a connector called as abutment is placed over the implant for supporting a replacement teeth.
- A crown or an implant supported bridge is then attached over the abutment using a cement or a screw.
TYPES OF DENTAL IMPLANTS:
- ENDOSTEAL IMPLANTS: Placed inside the jaw bone. Typically shaped like a tapered or cylindrical screw, they are the most commonly used implants
- SUBPERIOSTEAL IMPLANTS: Placed under the gums but on or above the jaw bone. Usede not patients with shallow jaw bone.
TOOTH REPLACEMENT OPTIONS WITH DENTAL IMPLANT
- SINGLE TOOTH REPLACEMENT: There is no better, long lasting option to restore a missing tooth than a dental implant fitted with a crown. Thorough consultation and planning which includes clinical examination, x ray image of the teeth, recording of brief dental and medical history is done.
Placement of dental implant is done which is followed by abutment placement either immediately or after healing period of 8 to 12 weeks.
In cases with immediate abutment placement , a temporary tooth may be given while the implant integrates with the natural bone.
Lastly a crown or a replacement tooth is placed over the abutment.
- MULTIPLE TEETH REPLACEMENT: Includes placement of implants to replace multiple missing teeth with individual crowns or implant supported bridge. Best and most predictable treatment outcome is achieved
- FULL MOUTH DENTAL IMPLANTS: Includes replacement of complete set of upper and lower teeth with dental implants. Usually requites multiple visits.
It involves placement of custom made individual replacement teeth or an implant supported multiple bridges or implant supported fixed dentures.
- BONE AUGMENTATION: Done in patients with insufficient bone for the placement of dental implant. Several techniques are used to re build natural bone which in turn will accept dental implants.
- A) Bone grafts: Involves building up or adding bone to the jaw using your own natural bone from other location or by using other donor, processed or synthetic materials. Safe and highly successful procedure.
- B) SINUS LIFT SURGERIES: Commonly done during the replacement of upper back teeth where bone height is very less due to deterioration of natural bone and expansion of sinus cavity. This procedures involves adding bone below the sinus so that one or more dental implants can be placed.
ALTERNATIVE DENTAL IMPLANT TECHNIQUES :
- IMMEDIATE LOADING DENTAL IMPLANTS: With constant advancement and evolution in dental implantology, immediate load dental implants also called " tooth in a day" are available which allows placement of a temporary tooth during the same appointment as dental implant placement. Permanent tooth can be placed 3 to 6 months later. This procedure is best for the patients who have enough natural bone and the implant is secure enough to support immediate placement and pressure on the temporary tooth.
- ALL ON 4: This procedure involves the replacement of full set of teeth in each jaw using only 4 dental implants thus avoiding the need of bone grafting and sinus lift surgical procedures
We at our clinic follow 2 dental implant systems which are among the best in the world.
Both the above systems are well known in the implantology world with extensive documented literature supporting their success.
For Appointment/Consultation Call us at 0141-2522665 ,08860059860